Amazing low carb New York Ricotta cheesecake.
Light, super creamy, delicious.. with treats like this the Rosedale lifestyle is a pleasure!
- If you prefer a lighter cheese cake, then using Ricotta is perfect. If you want a heavier NY dense style cheese cake then add more cream cheese and pass on the ricotta.
- 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup extra-fine whole milk ricotta cheese (to refine, process in a food processor for 1 minute)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar substitute, or a little less depending on your sweetness desires (recommended: xylotol)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon no sugar added vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (some people like to add a little zest as well)
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of Nutmeg (if you like nutmeg)
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- Special Equipment: 1 (8-inch) springform cake pan
Can also be made without a crust.
- 1/4 cup Finely Chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup Finely Chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup Finely Chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup almond meal (almond flour)
- 2 Tablespoons butter (melt in microwave)
- Depending on your sweetness desires, some might add a little bit of sugar substitue to the base.
- Crust. Mix all nuts and almond meal with melted butter and press into a springform pan, trying to line the sides as much as possible about 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the pan, set aside to mix filling. You can bake this for 15 minutes if you like it a little crunchier.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a shallow roasting pan big enough to fit the cake pan, pour about 1-inch of water and place it on the center rack of the oven to preheat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat softened cream cheese, ricotta, sour cream and sugar substitute on low speed for about 1 minute until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, using a wire whisk, mix heavy cream, vanilla, lemon juice, eggs, and egg yolks until blended.
- Turn the mixer on medium speed, and slowly pour the egg mixture into the cream cheese mixture. Beat just until blended and then turn off; be careful not to over-whip. Tip. whipping the egg whites from the 3 yolks used and fold in at the end of mixing. Cake is lighter.
- Pour batter into the crust base in the springform pan. Place pan into the heated water bath. Bake for 15 minutes, and then lower the oven temperature to 275 degrees F. Continue baking for 1 1/2 hours, or until top is light golden brown and cake is pulling away from the sides of the pan. Turn the oven off when finished cooking and leave the cake in the oven to cool for 3 more hours. (This will keep the cake nice and tall, though I have taken it out after an hour then let it sit on the counter and was fine as well). Then remove cake and refrigerate before serving. Serve chilled. It does to get better over time so don’t be tempted to eat it all so quickly.
New yorkers will also put a topping of fresh sour cream on top, others might add blueberries and whipped cream. Enjoy and add your own topping in keeping with the Rosedale Rules, or just naked as it is is perfect.
Thanks www.foodnetwork.com for part of the recipe above, then we added our Rosedale twist and a base.